Thursday, July 31, 2008

National Geographic Kids....

Today I came upon a web site that has lots of interesting videos and other fun stuff. It's National Geographic Kids. One of the videos I watched was on swarms of locusts that used to be in America and suddenly disappeared. Check out the video "Lots of Locusts" to learn why! Personally, I am not a big fan of bugs, but I found this bug page to have some fascinating photos of bugs.
Another interesting spot on their website offers Green Tips. Remember this past school year we made a list of things we can do to "Go Green". I have really cut down on the number of plastic/paper shopping bags I get when I am out and about. Hopefully you have too! Several stores now sell re-usable shopping bags like the ones we got from Jewel, one of our local grocery stores. I continue to replace my regular light bulbs with CFL bulbs, like the ones donated from Home Depot. We have to keep in mind that even a small step toward being green is still a positive step. Back to National Geographic Kids...they have a craft section where they show you how to make your own Re-Usable Grocery Bag. Maybe you can give it a try.
Go to the site and see what other fun things are waiting for you at National Geographic Kids! Maybe you can leave a comment to share your favorite parts of the site too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A really great website I use to help teach kindergarteners how to read is www.starfall.com. This website is great for teaching vowels and spelling also! If you are able to pull up websites like this one in front of the class on a SMARTBOARD or projector, this would be a great class activity. The chidren can take turns reading a line in each book and making new words. If you have a technology or computer station/center in your classroom,I would suggest making this link accessible to students. Also, parents can use this website at home if they want a easy and exciting way to help their child learn to read. The children love starfall.com and I have had great success in using it!